Illegal instruction python3.6 and mxnet 1.4

Hi,

I download the lates official mxnet 1.4 docker and ran. there is python 2.7 and I installed python 3.6 than
pip3.6 install mxnet-mkl

after that :

root@d20e9a60b1d9:/mxnet# python3.6
Python 3.6.7 (default, Oct 25 2018, 09:16:13)
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609] on linux
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

import mxnet as mx
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

what could be the problem ? is there any python 3.6 + mxnet 1.4 based docker . ?

Hi,

what OS are you using? what location did you obtain the docker image you’re using. And if you’re using a docker image why do you need run install mxnet-mkl command

I tried in my Mac Os X Sierra. I pulled mxnet docker from . What I need is :

Python 3.6
mxnet 1.4.x with mkldnn

is there such ready docker or I need to install myself as mentioned above ?

@sad

docker pull mxnet/python:1.4.0_cpu_mkl_py3
docker run -ti -v /data/bin/deploy/:/deploy mxnet/python:1.4.0_cpu_mkl_py3
and

root@06b8a69cd55c:/mxnet# python3.5
Python 3.5.2 (default, Nov 12 2018, 13:43:14)
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609] on linux
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.
>>> import mxnet as mx
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
root@06b8a69cd55c:/mxnet#

os is Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS

Hi

Looks like the docker you’re trying to use was not built correctly. If you’re not trying to bring in other dependencies in your docker and all you need is python3.6 and mxnet1.4, I would advise building your own docker image from a suitable base image and adding command to setup a python3.6 env and install mxnet-mkl via pip

@sad

One more thing I am using an ubuntu which is running inside the vmware . Is it also a problem ? docker inside the vmware ?

@sad

same image is working on the mac os x. but in ubuntu which running cloud vmware gives illegal instruction

The issue here is likely that the cloud machine you’re trying to run on does not have AVX or MKL support and using mxnet-mkl would likely not work.

Do you know what processor is running on the cloud machine? Can you try just using pip install mxnet to see if that works?

@sad I will try bare bone ubuntu and let you know.

Cloud is running vmware and the cpu is intel i7

same machine inside docker we can use python 2.7 with mxnet-mkl without problem.

when we try to install python3 and mxnet for it it gives illegal instruciton when trying to import

any idea ? @sad

I have the same problem.
Ubuntu 19.10
Python 3.7.5
MXNet 1.6.0
AMD FX™-4100 Quad-Core Processor