Running custom object detection model on Android

Hi, this is a follow-up to a previous question of mine, I need to run a custom object detection module on Android.

I already fine-tuned the model (ssd_512_mobilenet1.0_custom) on a custom dataset, I tried running inference with this model (loading the .params file produced during the training) and everything works perfectly on my computer. Now, I need to export this to Android.

I was referring to this answer to figure out the procedure, there are 3 suggested options:

1. You can use ONNX to convert models to other runtimes, for example […] NNAPI for Android
  2. You can use TVM
  3. You can use SageMaker Neo + DLR runtime […]

Regarding the first one, I converted my model to ONNX (thanks again to @waytrue17 for the help).
However, in order to use it with NNAPI, it is necessary to convert it to daq. In the repository, they provide a precomplied AppImage of onnx2daq to make the conversion, but the script returns an error. I checked the issues section, and they report that “It actually fails for all onnx object detection models”.

Then, I gave a try to DLR, since it’s suggested to be the easiest way.
As I understand, in order to use my custom model with DLR, I would first need to compile it with TVM (which also covers the second point mentioned in the linked post). In the repo, they provide a Docker image with some conversion scripts for different frameworks.
I modified the ‘compile_gluoncv.py’ script, and now I have:

#!/usr/bin/env python3

from tvm import relay
import mxnet as mx
from mxnet.gluon.model_zoo.vision import get_model
from tvm_compiler_utils import tvm_compile

shape_dict = {'data': (1, 3, 300, 300)}
dtype='float32'
ctx = [mx.cpu(0)]

classes_custom = ["CML_mug"]
block = get_model('ssd_512_mobilenet1.0_custom', classes=classes_custom, pretrained_base=False, ctx=ctx)
block.load_parameters("ep_035.params", ctx=ctx)	### this is the file produced by training on the custom dataset

for arch in ["arm64-v8a", "armeabi-v7a", "x86_64", "x86"]:
  sym, params = relay.frontend.from_mxnet(block, shape=shape_dict, dtype=dtype)
  func = sym["main"]
  func = relay.Function(func.params, relay.nn.softmax(func.body), None, func.type_params, func.attrs)
  tvm_compile(func, params, arch, dlr_model_name)

However, when I run the script it returns the error:

ValueError: Model ssd_512_mobilenet1.0_custom is not supported. Available options are
	alexnet
	densenet121
	densenet161
	densenet169
	densenet201
	inceptionv3
	mobilenet0.25
	mobilenet0.5
	mobilenet0.75
	mobilenet1.0
	mobilenetv2_0.25
	mobilenetv2_0.5
	mobilenetv2_0.75
	mobilenetv2_1.0
	resnet101_v1
	resnet101_v2
	resnet152_v1
	resnet152_v2
	resnet18_v1
	resnet18_v2
	resnet34_v1
	resnet34_v2
	resnet50_v1
	resnet50_v2
	squeezenet1.0
	squeezenet1.1
	vgg11
	vgg11_bn
	vgg13
	vgg13_bn
	vgg16
	vgg16_bn
	vgg19
	vgg19_bn

Am I doing something wrong? Is this thing even possible?

As a side note, after this I’d need to deploy on Android a pose detection model (simple_pose_resnet18_v1b) and an activity recognition one (i3d_nl10_resnet101_v1_kinetics400) as well.