Mx.viz.print_summary(sym) returns ValueError

Hi, I’m using conda_mxnet_p36 on an Amazon SageMaker notebook instance. In the code below I’d like to instantiate a model and display its summary parameters table. I have the following error. Any idea what’s wrong? how to make it work? Cheers

import time

import mxnet as mx
from mxnet import nd
import numpy as np

from mxnet import nd, autograd, gluon

ctx = mx.gpu(0)

# define CNN
num_inputs = 784
num_outputs = 10
num_fc = 256

def BuildNet():

net = gluon.nn.HybridSequential()

with net.name_scope():

net.add(gluon.nn.Conv2D(channels=20, kernel_size=3, activation='relu'))
        net.add(gluon.nn.MaxPool2D(pool_size=2, strides=2))
        net.add(gluon.nn.Conv2D(channels=50, kernel_size=3, activation='relu'))
        net.add(gluon.nn.MaxPool2D(pool_size=2, strides=2))

# The Flatten layer collapses all axis, except the first one, into one axis.
        net.add(gluon.nn.Flatten())
        net.add(gluon.nn.Dense(num_fc, activation="relu"))
        net.add(gluon.nn.Dropout(.3))
        net.add(gluon.nn.Dense(num_outputs))

return net        

net = BuildNet()

net.collect_params().initialize()
x = mx.sym.var('data')
sym = net(x)
mx.viz.print_summary(sym)

returns:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Layer (type)                                        Output Shape            Param #     Previous Layer                  
========================================================================================================================
data(null)                                                                  0                                           
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ValueError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-5-eaf5ad29bf78> in <module>()
      4 x = mx.sym.var('data')
      5 sym = net(x)
----> 6 mx.viz.print_summary(sym)

~/anaconda3/envs/mxnet_p36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/mxnet/visualization.py in print_summary(symbol, shape, line_length, positions)
    182                 if key in shape_dict:
    183                     out_shape = shape_dict[key][1:]
--> 184         total_params += print_layer_summary(nodes[i], out_shape)
    185         if i == len(nodes) - 1:
    186             print('=' * line_length)

~/anaconda3/envs/mxnet_p36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/mxnet/visualization.py in print_layer_summary(node, out_shape)
    135         cur_param = 0
    136         if op == 'Convolution':
--> 137             if ("no_bias" in node["attrs"]) and int(node["attrs"]["no_bias"]):
    138                 cur_param = pre_filter * int(node["attrs"]["num_filter"])
    139                 for k in _str2tuple(node["attrs"]["kernel"]):

ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'False'

See your other question for an answer of how to properly get the number of parameters.
The bug you are having could be due to a version of mxnet, there used to be a bug in the print_summary method. Try to upgrade to mxnet 1.3. You can do that by typing directly in your jupyter notebook

!pip uninstall -y mxnet-cu90mkl
!pip install mxnet-cu90mkl

edit: (I confirm your code is running without error in mxnet 1.3.0, though proceed with the adjustements suggested here: Understand number of parameters in mx.viz.print_summary(sym) to get the right number of parameters)